By Tony Vengrove
Welcome to the Season Two premiere of The Stories of Creative Leadership on the IntrepidNow network! We’re coming out of the gate strong with our first guest of 2015: Mark Fernandes, Chief Leadership Officer at Luck Companies.
In the discussion, we discuss their framework for Values Based Leadership and the journey Luck Companies took to embrace and demonstrate their core values. Some highlights from the conversation include:
- Why Values Based Leadership requires vigilance, intention, and purpose.
- How Luck Companies unearthed creativity as a value and how they fostered creative thinking in an aggregates business. If they can do it, why can’t everyone do it?
- Companies need both a business plan and a culture plan. At Luck Companies, their culture plan is larger than their business plan!
- The day their engagement survey results come in is treated as the biggest day of the year.
- On culture and leaders modeling the way: “People are professional boss watchers; the culture will be the shadows of leaders.”
- Mark’s advice about caring for employees: 1) Love your associates to death, 2) give them something to believe in, and 3) Obsess about them becoming everything they can be.
- On courage: “If you lack it you’re going to walk the earth needing from others versus giving to others.”
Mark is an inspiring leader and speaker. I’m sure you’ll love this interview–be sure to have a pad and paper at your ready.
We have a lot more exciting guests coming down the pike. Our next episode will feature Lt. Col. Raphael Hernandes, the CMO of your United States Marine Corps. You won’t want to miss it!
Be sure to bookmark our new series landing page so that you never miss an episode!
Miles Finch Innovation helps companies navigate the messy territory of corporate innovation. We’re strategic thinking partners who can help you get unstuck and identify creative solutions to your toughest challenges. We also love to train and speak on the subject of Creative Leadership. Email us or call us at 860-799-7505 to learn how we can help you you unlock the creative potential of your employees.